Sunday, November 14, 2010

Food, Inc. -- How Industrial Food is Making Us Sicker, Fatter, and Poorer--And What You Can Do About It

I enjoyed this article a lot based on the fact that it was a Q & A. I felt that the information provided gave me more insight opposed to a regular article. This way, the reader can really benefit in regard to the given topic and what it has to prove. I was particularly intrigued by the question on page 13: "Now nearly ten years have passed. How has the story of America's relationship to food changed in that time?" I really enjoy the changing aspect of any dilemma or problem. Like the issues we have covered in relation to food and its production (where/what are we eating?), I enjoy seeing the ending result to see if a technique has worked or failed. So I initially gravitated towards this area. Schlosser states: "There has been a sea change in American attitudes towards food, especially among the educated and the upper-middle class. And there is now a powerful social movement centered on food. Sustainable agriculture, the obesity epidemic, food safety, illegal immigration, animal welfare, the ethics of marketing to children--all of these things are now being widely discussed and debated (13). I enjoy the aspect that these things are broken down. It creates a general, organized idea in which society may feel that it's possible to start corrected the flaws. I particularly like that he mentioned "marketing to children". I feel as though this hits hard and over time, the ending result proves to creates problems. The movie, Super Size Me, devoted a section to just this: the fact that television pushes so so hard to suck children in. Whether it's a celebrity who is paid to help market the product or if it's a cartoon character--either way, it's something worth taking note of.

No comments:

Post a Comment